Sunday, June 17, 2012

Portabella Spinach Bake

Mushrooms never get enough love.  It is the one vegetable that I find so many people either like or don't.  Or, they like them cooked or cold on a salad.  There is no in between on this subject.  I have yet to find many like myself who love mushrooms regardless of how they are cooked or what they are served with!

This recipe is one I started making light years ago when I first started living on my own.  It can be cheap and easy to make in a snap.  Very tasty too.  I have seen it made on some Italian cooking shows and every version are similar in ingredients.

The original recipe called for a slice of mozzarella to go on each mushroom, but I prefer to grate my cheese or buy grated cheese.  In this recipe I used the Publix brand six cheese Italian blend and it works well.  I have also used just a mixture of parmesan and mozzarella.  Just go with whatever works for you.  This recipe has no measurements and it can be changed up however to fit one's taste.

Ingredients: Marinara or any pasta sauce (I used publix brand)
                   Portabella Mushrooms
                   Mixture of any Italian cheeses (I used publix brand)
                   Red Pepper
                   Fresh Spinach (chopped)
                   Pepper and Salt to taste
                                     


Step 1:  Preheat oven to 375.  To clean the mushrooms just take a damp paper towel or rag and gently rub the mushrooms. You never want to rinse mushrooms directly for they will absorb the water. I like to spoon out the dark little gills as I call them.  Or just leave them in for a more meatier texture. It is best to take the stem out. The stem is very woodsy and does not taste good.

 In a glass baking dish pour a thin layer of the marinara sauce and spread.I also put a think layer of cheese.   Then place mushrooms cap side down in dish. Sprinkle with pepper and salt.  Put chopped spinach in mushroom cap.

Note: I usually use my own homemade marinara for this dish as it is thicker than store bought brand and is not as runny in the end. If you use store bought be sure to season it up a little to your taste. 



Step 2: Put cheese on top of spinach and then add a thin ring of red pepper.  Sometimes I will also add a spoonful of the sauce on top of the mushroom before baking.




Step 3: Cover with foil and bake for up to 45 minutes depending  on your oven.  Baking this dish covered with foil allows steam to help cook and soften the mushrooms.

The last five minutes I take the foil off and add a little more cheese to melt on top. 








Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment